Monday, July 25, 2011

Considering the drawing

Old lanterns are really cool. I'm pretty excited about to paint this one. However, I'm not so sure about the little gondolier guy in the corner. I don't usually put people in my architecture/water paintings. The one time I did they looked kinda funky/cheesy. Should I leave the guy or take him out? If I leave him does he need to be bigger? Is that why he looks a little funny? And compositionally speaking, is he making the corner too heavy? Also, I'm thinking of moving the tall tower more to the left, so that it can divide the horizon into more equal thirds. Would that be stronger? Lots of questions! Looking for the best composition usually does that to me! I had this painting professor once who watched me draw and paint a whole still-life painting and then gave me a C- on it because the composition was weak. Something he easily could have mentioned to me before I even started painting. As a straight-A student, I was a bit peeved about it, needless to say. And rather grudgingly, I will also admit that because of it, ever since I've been a lot more careful about making sure I have a composition worth spending the time to paint. Hence the questions. I'm leaning towards removing the gondolier.

No comments:

Post a Comment