Saturday, December 3, 2011

My little towhead

The lighting in this reference photo of my 2nd oldest is amazing and the way she is looking up with such brilliantly, bright eyes and pure joy... just melts my heart.
However, the painting of her white-blonde hair is causing me some trouble, and I think her eyes ended up a touch too big. The funny thing is they were honestly just right when I drew them, but the color and darkness of the shadows make them loom larger in her pale little face. I do have to admit that I don't know what to do now (which is why I'm not painting right now). I feel like a kid caught with their hand in the cookie jar. I went ahead and started painting without planning ahead even though I know better! That was partially because I just wanted to play around with the colors and be all loose. But now there's the background to deal with and a couple of night's work to ruin if I make the wrong decision. Blast. I hate it when I do that. I think it needs to be dark, at least along the side of her face to give it definition. But she's so light, that I worry a little about doing that. Suggestions?

2 comments:

  1. I love her blue eyes. Great photo and beautiful painting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's a doll, and the transparent light quality helps to convey a child's persona. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete