Saturday, February 11, 2012

Shadows on the Hillside

This is one of like 4 paintings I'm working on right now (not focusing well :) ) and is a study in contrasts. I'm trying to preserve the lightest lights (which didn't start so well - I had to add a bunch of white gouache to the sky because it was matching the dark value of the tree line. I might have to lighten it even further. Haven't decided yet), so the darkest darks will look that much cooler. And they dark shadows get extremely dark. I'm trying to keep them interesting instead of just the near black they appear in my reference photo. Sadly, I think I have also messed up by cutting up the foreground too much. Again, just trying to add subtle interest to a large, hilly field but I may have done too much? There should be some variety in size of shapes too. But it's early yet. So there's still hope for it. Regardless, I'm sticking it out to learn what I can from it, if nothing else.

1 comment:

  1. I love this one! I have an art lit presentation of Emily Carr tomorrow, and this kinda..has her feel. Maybe it is a stretch, but I love it nonetheless!

    ReplyDelete